Business Process and Governance Consultant / Project Officer Business Development and Innovation Office
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. Its mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Garvan’s research encompasses immunology, bone biology, neuroscience, diabetes and metabolism, cancer, and genomics and epigenetics. These research activities are organised within four themes: Cancer, Inflammatory Diseases, Healthy Aging, and Genomics, and two Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The Development and Support Group (DSG) led by a Chief Operating Officer exists to support the research work and this is composed of Finance, People and Culture, Business Development, Scientific Services, Engineering and Information Technology. The Garvan Research Foundation, though a separate legal entity accountable to its own Board, operates within the Institute organisation as a quasi-department of DSG. Several specialised research facilities exist to directly support the scientific research work.
The Business Development and Innovation (BDI) Office undertakes a number of core functions for the Institute like innovation and new technology assessment; intellectual property (IP) capture and management; commercial assessment, market analysis and business planning; commercialization projects and spin-offs; business development, licensing and investment
The Governance Consultant / Governance Project Officer works in a team environment, managing and overseeing the development of a commercialisation framework and related projects that can have an impact on a particular research Theme or the institute as a whole.
Designing governance systems and processes, providing advice and establishing policies where required to support
- Designing governance systems and processes, providing advice and establishing policies where required to support
- Activities relating to the management of the IP Asset portfolio as a whole including managing the IP register; and managing decisions regarding the protection, marketing and, licensing of innovations
- Engaging with commercial partners including managing business risk associated with various collaboration projects and licensing and investment transactions
- Tracking and management of projects relating to the development, validation and commercialisation of specific IP Assets.
- Developing collateral to assess the patentability, commercial value and commercialisation plan for a given innovations or commercial opportunity
- Decisions regarding conflicts of interest arising from the commercialisation of an innovation
- Planning and project managing the implementation of the commercialisation framework process and other related policies and processes and updating the Garvan Board on progress
- Establishing an external Commercialisation Advisory Panel (CAP) and developing governance frameworks for managing meetings of CAP
- Project planning, project development and implementation as per budget
- Identifying risks effecting delivery of project outcomes and deploy contingencies where necessary to ensure completion of project
You will possess the following skills and experience:
- At least 3-5 years of proven industry experience including relevant tertiary education in a business related discipline
- Advanced computer skills with fluency in a variety of software packages including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to develop, manage and maintain internal and external relationships
- Medical research, biotechnology, life sciences or education industry exposure is highly desirable
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring and positive working environment. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a real impact on human health.
Located in modern offices, there is an on-site café and you are situated close to public transport and Darlinghurst’s trendy restaurants. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, not-for-profit salary packaging and above market superannuation.
The position is offered on a full time basis and is a six month role position.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including 2 referees
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible. The closing date is 28 September 2019