Collections Officer – Part time (two days per week)
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. Its mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Garvan’s research encompasses immunology, bone biology, neuroscience, diabetes and metabolism, cancer, and genomics and epigenetics. These research activities are organised within four themes: Cancer, Inflammatory Diseases, Healthy Aging, and Genomics, and two Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The Development and Support Group (DSG) led by a Chief Operating Officer exists to support the research work and this is composed of Finance, People and Culture, Business Development, Scientific Services, Engineering and Information Technology. The Garvan Research Foundation, though a separate legal entity accountable to its own Board, operates within the Institute organisation as a quasi department of DSG. Several specialised research facilities exist to directly support the scientific research work.
The Finance Department is part of the Development and Support Group. It supports the Institute through the regular planning, controlling and reporting of the financial operations of the Institute including the Garvan Research Foundation and related entities.
The Collections Officer is accountable for the collection of money on overdue customer accounts on a timely basis. This role requires working closely with the Accounts Receivable Officer and the duties include making outbound calls and answering inbound calls to/from customers, issuing dunning letters, and reviewing aged receivables reports to identify problem accounts. The position is expected to perform other administrative tasks assigned by the Accounting Manager or Head of Finance from time to time.
The position is offered on a part time basis (2 days per week worked on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday) and is a permanent position.
The Collections Officer is responsible for:
- Reviewing the Accounts Receivable aged trial balance and proactively following up on delinquent accounts
- Generating and sending dunning letters (statements) to customers and collecting money against outstanding invoices by contacting customers by phone or emails
- Maintaining customer master records and assisting in monthly debtor statement reconciliation
- Liaising with external customers as well as other internal departments
- Fulfilling other duties as assigned by the Head of Finance
You will possess the following skills and experience:
- Proven experience within an Accounts Receivable function with at least 5 years of experience
- Minimum TAFE Diploma in Accounting or any other tertiary qualifications
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Good reconciliation and investigative skills
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure with strong troubleshooting skills
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring and positive working environment. You'll have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a real impact on human health.
Located in modern offices, there is an on-site café and you are situated close to public transport and Darlinghurst’s trendy restaurants. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary, not-for-profit salary packaging and above market superannuation.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Please include the following in your application:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
This position will remain open until filled. We’ll review applications as they are received, please submit your application as soon as possible.