Technical Specialist – Cell Sorting
The Garvan Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics facility and provides a shared service of flow cytometry and cellular genomics to all divisions of Garvan Institute of Medical Research including Bone Biology, Cancer, Diabetes and Metabolism, Immunology, Neuroscience, and Genomics and Epigenetics. The facility has close ties to all shared facilities particularly the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the informatics team.
The role of the Technical Specialist – Cell Sorting is to participate in all aspects of the daily activities of the GWCCG facility, focusing on flow cytometry services (See Essential Duties and Responsibilities), and assisting with the facility’s continued development and growth.
The Technical Specialist – Cell Sorting will be given appropriate training on the relevant instruments and be involved with setting up the instrumentation to analyse and sort a variety of samples for researchers across the Garvan research precinct and beyond. There is also scope (depending on prior skills and experience) to be directly involved with the development of novel applications in the field of single cell genomics and microfluidics approaches to cellular analysis and separation (see Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications).
Reporting to the Manager of GWCCG facility, the key responsibilities include:
- Setup and run cytometry equipment to achieve optimal results
- Provide cell sorting expertise to GWCCG facility users
- Perform quality control for the instruments in adherence to strict operating procedures
- Communicate complex ideas and information to lab users
- Responsible for providing technical and biological advice regarding flow cytometry
- Handle biological samples safely
- Daily maintenance of laboratory records and sorter booking systems.
- Develop processes and protocols
- Basic-intermediate instrumentation troubleshooting
This role is offered on a full-time basis for 1 year in the first instance.
You will have the following key skills and experience:
- Prior experience in Flow Cytometry and Cell Sorting
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent customer service capability
- Excellent computer and technical skills in order to accurately follow instructions
- Ability to manage competing responsibilities
- Ability to work in PC2 environment
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
As we are reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.