Research Officer - Eating Disorders, Neuroscience
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
We are currently seeking a talented and driven Research Officer to join the laboratory of Professor Herbert Herzog. This is a key position that will become an integral part of an already established team of experts who study the molecular mechanisms controlling appetite, energy expenditure and adiposity using a large variety of transgenic mouse models. He/she is expected to demonstrate competence in in vivo mouse studies, stereotactic brain injection, in situ hybridisation, immunohistochemistry and other related localisation techniques. Knowledge of electrophysiological techniques is an advantage.
Your key responsibilities include:
- In vivo and in vitro analysis of transgenic mouse models using physiological, immunohistochemical and molecular biology related techniques
- Collating experimental data, writing up experimental procedures and interpreting experimental results
- Being responsible for the writing of manuscripts, with an emphasis on submissions to high quality journals
- Communicating your research as well as relevant publications and developments in the field to those involved
- Recommending ways of improving techniques, quantitative methods and quality control
This full-time position is offered for a 1-year term in the first instance.
The Research Officer should have a PhD degree and a strong background in neuroanatomy and demonstrated competence in neuroscience related techniques. You should also be able to demonstrate autonomy and consistent work quality as well as excellent written and oral communication skills.
For more information please contact: Professor Herbert Herzog on (02) 9295 8296 or email: email@example.com.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.